can a hen adopt other chicks with her own?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dixiechick, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a brooding hen (who sadly only has 2 of her eggs and one of her neighbor's eggs). They are expected the day that we are receive some new hatchlings in the mail....should I raise these two separately, or can/will the mother hen take in the newbies?

Any input? Just wondering...

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I heard you can usually do it if you slip the chicks in while the hen is either of sleeping or away from the chicks.

Of course, I've had chickens for eleven weeks now, so hopefully somebody who's done it answers.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I got 3 day old chicks and my broody silkie took them in and raised them as her own. A month later i went back to the breeder and got 2 more (the 2 new ones were 3&4 weeks old) and she took them too......no questions asked. I think that a silkie is most apt to that thought. I would not trust my standard hens like this.
    This is just my experience [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree with the silkie thing. My BO raised 2 Polish, and my silkie raised three. Today she sees the BO's chicks, and went bananas. I should just give them to her, lol. My BO was a good broody, but now that the chicks are 4 weeks old, she leaves them to go get food, and doesn't care what they do.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    she should accept them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by