can a hen go broody before laying her first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by le-y, May 29, 2010.

1. le-y

le-y Hatching

May 27, 2010
    Or is it a sign that she's going to lay her first egg soon?

basically whenever i go up to see them for the last 2/3 days she's normally sitting down in the house, either in the nest box or on the floor of the house.

I moved the food inside and she came ate then went back to sitting down.

she seems a little miffed if i try and move her but will move and will go outside for a while. '

i'm not up there all day so i cant be sure if she stays in there all day.

just wondering if this is normal really?

2. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Songster

Dec 27, 2009
    I don't have an answer, just looking to bump you up to the top so someone who knows might answer!

3. le-y

le-y Hatching

May 27, 2010
    thanks [​IMG]

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Information is missing.

What breed, how old, what are you feeding her? Is this your first time with chickens?

If she's old enough to lay? Is it possible that you keep moving her before she has a chance to lay her first egg?

Hens don't just get in there and pop out an egg, they take their sweet time. Further they don't just drop and run, they rest a minute or two before leaving the nest after they've laid the egg. I make these statements because you dont' say whether you are new to chickens.

5. le-y

le-y Hatching

May 27, 2010
    yes i am new to chickens, very new in fact.

ok so she's a warren brown, i've had her a little over a week and she was sold as point of lay, they said they would expect her to lay in about a week.

She gets layers pellets (as thats what they fed her where she came from) plus some mixed corn and a few little scraps.

I hope i've not been moving her early and disturbing her, i dont wanna put her off lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by