Can a hen have a spur??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by floridachickhatcher, Nov 28, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    My mom and I are testing our hens to see if they are laying and out of the molt or are too old to lay and we put them in a brooder coop and wait 3 days to see if they lay at that point they are tossed into the non layer and rooster pen and she did lay today so we put green zip ties on both legs to mark they are good hens and my moms hand felt something sharp and we looked and she had a spur! i told mom could it be an extra toe or in grown toe? cause its right where a spur would be and its only on the one leg and i told her maybe when they get older they grow them??

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Yes, older hens can grow spurs.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yep. My old buff orpington started growing spurs as she got older. By age 9, she had full on rooster spurs.

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

yes

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes but this usually doesn't occur till they are much older

6. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    yup! I've got an older black spanish from my mom who has some pretty crazy spurs!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sumatra hens have spurs from a young age. I have a hen less than 2 years old who has Sumatra blood. She's had spurs since she was quite young. I also have a 6 yr old RIR with spurs, have had Blue Orp hens with spurs and a Speckled Sussex hen with only one spur.

8. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    uh huh i knew those hens that were sold to my mom were old! someone told me on here if you feel their legs and if they are really rough and ragged they are old and she did have rough patch legs and she only has the one spur on the one leg i mean mom trimmed it cause she doesnt like that but as long as she is laying momma wont care if she has a spur it just means she will have to watch out around her for the one spured hen lol

9. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    YES THEY SURE CAN!!!! I had a old dominicker hen couple years ago who had 3 spurs on each leg, and a cochin hen 3 yrs old who had a 1 and 1/2 inch spur on each leg.

10. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Well Thank ya'll for letting me know my mom never heard of a hen who has a spur but we know now if the other hens grow spurs they are old lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by