Can a hen have two settings per year ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tony garza, May 15, 2010.

1. tony garza

tony garza Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    Cross Plains, Tx
    I have a black swedish hen that set and hatched 5 ducklings. She sat or stepped on three of them and I took the other two away from her and raised them by hand. Now she is missing again. I free range the sweds 24/7. I noticed that she has been missing a number of mornings and then comes back around noon. The last few days, she's not come back. Can she have laid another batch and is setting them ??? I have not had any problems with predators for several years now.

Thanks,

Tony

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    She very well could be, especially if you took the ducklings away. I took eggs from my mandarin and wood duck during incubation and they are both starting new clutches.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

same here with a mallard. she's laying another batch now, behind the woodpile.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Yep [​IMG] My Buff hen had four hatches last near. My magpie two. I havent had any other girls really set but I have girls trying to set all the time.

5. tony garza

tony garza Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2010
    Cross Plains, Tx
    Thanks for the replies. Now I have to find her. I already have another black swed setting in high grass under a mesquite tree.

Tony

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by