Can a hen-obsessed roo impact egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Newfoundland Chick, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Newfoundland Chick

Newfoundland Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Last year, I purchased 2 chicks - an Americauna & a Japanese Bantom. The Japanese Bantom turned out to be a roo. I introduced both to my small flock of 3 mature hens. The tiny roo submits to the mature hens & all of his considerable attention is focused on the Americauna. She laid 2 tiny blue-green eggs in the fall....& nothing since. She does WANT to lay - she goes to the nesting box & clucks & sits. But she produces nothing. She is not egg bound & is very healthy. Could the constant attention of the tiny roo be stressing her out? Could it be the cause of her not laying?

2. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    thast very odd i have never seen anything like this except with my red sexlink magda lol
    she would cluck and go into the nest and do nothing eventually she layed a deformed egg that was gross and was the lining of her uterus this may be happening to ur hen but i doubt it and try separte her from the rooster fro a while if she starts egg laying that may be the problem

3. Newfoundland Chick

Newfoundland Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Yes, I think I'm going to try keeping them separate for several hours during the day....he is going to be SO mad! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by