Can a hens egg color change?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wbruder17, Jan 24, 2012.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Is it possible for a hen's egg color to change after she goes through a molt?

Also, I rinse my eggs after I collect them, just using water and a sponge... but its possible to rub off some of the color of the egg and leave a lighter color behind. What causes this?

2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yes after a molt, hens pretty much start their laying process all over. You will start to get eggs that are oddly shaped, double yolkers...etc. A couple weeks after this molt they will be normal again.

Color is "built in" to the egg shell. This is for most chickens. However, marans (who lay the dark eggs), have eggs where you can literally wipe off the brown color. This is because the color is added after the egg is formed. I did notice that when i wipe my eggs really hard, layers of the egg will come off giving the appearance of a lighter color than what it actually, or originally was.

3. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Interesting. Thanks for the molting/ egglaying info.

As for the other... I am talking about an olive or speckled egg that when I give it a little rub, the egg will become green, and its not just dirt, but will have darker stains on the egg.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    There are only two colors of eggshells, white and blue. The rest is caused byccolor being deposited on the shell.
    Brown egg = white shell with brown pigment
    Green egg = blue egg with brown pigment

The egg you're talking about probably has a good amount of brown pigment on it that you are wiping off. The darker spots are probably concentrated pigment, since the girls are getting their equipment back in order after the molt.

Hens' eggs typically are darker right after a molt, like their pullet eggs, then lighten up over the laying period.

5. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So then, this could be a white egg layer laying this egg and its just pigment wearing off? I have 2 white egg layers... it looks like one of my EEs eggs, but now the green comes right off.

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Not exactly if I'm reading you correctly. I'd say it's a green or olive egg layer and you're washing some of the brown pigment off.

You can tell the original color (before the pigment is deposited in the laying process) of the egg shell by looking at the inside of the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by