Can a Kestrel Cause Harm to FUll Grown Chickens?

ILoveJoe

Songster
11 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Northern Kentucky
There has been a Kestrel sitting on top of the barn watching the chickens in the morning. It is pretty small as far as birds of prey go, but I wonder if it can still cause any damage?

Nothing to worry about, in fact they kill and eat the winged rats that frequent your yard...
big_smile.png

Kestrels are gorgeous little guys. I'm pretty sure that unless you have itty bitty chicks you shouldn't have to worry about him. Mice on the other hand are probably quaking in terror since he arrived
wink.png
big_smile.png

No but my Ameraucana sure tried to do harm to him
tongue.png
she jumped that poor little guy and flew 12ft in the air to the roof of the coop and beat the snot out of him
lol.png
it was a great sight wish I had my camera.

No, not to worry. I have had resident families of kestrels here for years and they have never posed a threat to my hens. In fact, start watching the kestral behavior, as they will alert when hawks are around and dive them in trees or in the air. You may love having the kestrels around. And they are awfully pretty aren't they?

Anne

I would build him a box and put it up on a pole near by in an open area. 10 - 15' South or east facing They love mice and house sparrows. Having them around eating the mice will reduce the chance of having something that eats mice and is much bigger. Much bigger means it could eat a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom