can a leghorn have brown ears?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PhillyNewb, Mar 1, 2017.

1. We had a rooster show up on our doorstep mid October. He wouldn't leave, so we used to play with him. One day we found him slightly bloodied (don't know what got at him), so we took him in, put him in a large dog cage, and now he's living the high life in my laundry room with daily linen changes and all the little mealy worm treats he can eat. We used to let him out during the day and he'd come back before dark, but when it got cold he decided he didn't like outside. Anyway, I always thought he was a brown leghorn, but now I'm seeing they can't have brown ears?? Anyone know what this thing is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Black Breasted Red Old English Game. Leghorns always have white earlobes.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Looks like a old English game to me!
    [​IMG]

Old English game here. They will usually fight another rooster(it was not raised with) to one dies.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Old English, not Leghorn

5. oh great. I would get an angry bird. At least it explains why he thinks he's the boss. I guess choice of hens just got limited? Anyone know where I can get 2 females of this type? and thanks for the quick help.

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    To start with we do not even know what State you are in. I seen several for sell a few days ago----you close to me??

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    old English game bird

8. Just above Philadelphia PA
    I just figured they get mailed all over, which seems weird to do, but there seem to be a lot of places doing it.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

That color is common to several breeds, so Leghorn was a logical guess [​IMG]. But I agree he's a little game rooster.

He doesn't care what kind of hens they are. They won't, either. You can get game hens, they'll be scrappy little things, ok layers and good mommas. Or, you can go a more egg-production oriented breed, some type of regular farm chicken, and he'll still be thrilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by