Can A Lone Plymouth Rock Rooster Live Peacefully With 20 Guinea Hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lulug, Aug 21, 2013.

1. lulug

lulug Hatching

May 16, 2013
    Central Mass
    Hi everyone!

Well, I guess the title says it all, huh?!

I am a new-ish chicken owner to what should be 8 girls, but we ended up getting one rooster in the mix. I unfortunately need to rehome this guy, because I don't think the neighbors appreciate his 5 am wake up calls too much!

I've tried running ads on craigslist, but the people on there are super shady and I know Frank is going to either end up in a stew or in a cockfight somewhere, and I am not down with either of those scenarios!

My husband has a coworker who has about 20 young male & female guinea hens that free range, and he has offered to take Frank, as long as we think everyone will live happily together. I *think* it should be okay, but I wanted to ask the experts here! I heard guineas can be mean, but I think Frank can hold his own...but would he be outnumbered? Is this a bad idea? I just want him to live a long life in a happy home...

Thanks for your advice!

Lulu

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm not an expert in species mixtures, however I can say that when I re-homed my barred rock roo at 14 weeks?? he went to a farm and hung out with the ducks. The big boy chicken roo's wouldn't have anything to do with him and made his life miserable, so the owners put him in with the ducks. He was very content and acted like he had his own little harem...although I'm sure the ducks were laughing at him in his inexperience.

I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I am completely unfamiliar with guineas though.

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by