Can a male barred rock be differentiated from a male black star/black sex link?

fshrchik

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Maine
I am just curious if it possible to tell a male barred rock from a male black star/black sex link? I got 15 assorted heavy breed chicks for meat purposes from Paris Farmers Union (who gets them from Murray McMurray). I know I have one or both of those two in the mix. It's not like it really matters, but I was curious and it could help me hone my observation skills.

Thanks!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Yes, but not as a chick. You'd have to wait until it was older to see the barring quality and consistency, whether or not there are solid colored/off-colored feathers, especially in the tail, etc. Sometimes the bird will be really much darker than a normal cockerel, sometimes with almost white hackles, just not consistently barred at all.

Some hatchery BRs are such poor quality, sometimes it's hard. My first rooster ever was a McMurray BR I rescued from an FFA kid who wasn't good at managing his birds, best guy in the world, temperament-wise, and very large bodied, nice yellow legs. Barring was a mess, but consistent all over his body, my Hawkeye. I must say, generally, I think the McMurray BRs are larger bodied than the Ideal BRs, but I haven't seen any in a few years so could be that has changed.

Last edited:

Top Bottom