Can a male Pekin drake fertilize a Pekin hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Redtopranch, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Redtopranch

Redtopranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    Quick question... A person told me that she had heard that a Pekin drake could not fertilize a Pekin hen? Is this true. I have looked at my eggs and have seen the small "bull's eye" on the yolk. She said she had a male & female Pekin for years and they did not have fertilized eggs.

I just want to be positive and sure. Thanks.
    Paul

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Then where do more Pekins come from? [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It is certain breeds of turkey that can't reproduce without help. The breast of the male is too big for him to get close enough to the important parts of the female [​IMG]

Pekins aren't shaped like those turkeys.

4. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    I know the male can fertilize otherwise I would never have had 10 baby ducklings hatch three years ago. Needless to say the hatchings were so staggered that I had one baby duckling that kept killing the little newborns. So when I went to my sisters for a visit I took the 3 older duckling to her for her 3 daughters. for 4-H[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Quote:I know! See also chickens as in cornish...which is why we switched to Shamos! [​IMG]

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mule ducks are sterile it may be possible that is what the lady had.

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Mule duck? - would that be a cross between two different species of ducks? which produce these cuz aren't most of the domestics derived from mallard types? Just asking don't have a clue about ducks just usually like to be a pain!

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
  9. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Generally for most of us, if you have muscovies and mallard derived ducks, if they interbreed, their offspring will be sterile (mules), though the females may lay eggs.

But if you hatch eggs from muscovy on muscovy breedings they will have offspring that will reproduce.

Same with mallard derived. Mallard derived breeds can interbreed within the mallard derived breeds and make mutts that will have fertile offspring as well. Examples being pekin x rouen, rouen x runner, runner x khaki campbell, and any combo.

I hope that helped. [​IMG]

10. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    A mule duck(mixed) is sterile, one example is a Moulard, a popular meat bird that is a cross between a Muscovy and a Pekin. It looks like a Pekin with a big or some big black spots. For example, lets just say you go to get a peacock and the nice gentleman gives your daughter a Muscovy duckling, years later her Karate teacher wants to rehome her Pekin and you figure why not, its not like they are going to breed or anything they are different breeds of duck. Sure, you feel bad that the duck goes broody and sits on a ton of eggs, but they arent gonna hatch right? Then one day you are totally surprised to have a bunch of Moulard ducklings. Something like that.

You need a Pekin drake/hen to have Pekin ducklings, so I second what WalkingWolf said,
    she probably had a mule and didnt know it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by