Can a metal shed be turned into a coop?

SlipsWife

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Odessa, Texas
We have a metal shed (that was here when we bought our house) that is in the PERFECT location for our coop and is a perfect size. (Until the chicken math catches up and we have to move because I can't stop buying chickens!)
smile.png

If we don't use this shed we will have to build in a less than ideal spot and start from scratch. The shed is insulated and we could add plenty of ventilation and windows. Is this unheard of? Will it be like an oven to them in the Texas summers? (There are a number of large pecan trees that provide shade in our yard).

I dont think it will be a problem at all..as long as you have some windows and insulation, i think it'll be fine! free chicken coops are awesome!!

Thank you! I think I'm over thinking the entire process...I'm soooooo glad to see I'm not the only one though! There are so many amazing coops and runs out there I'm going to make sure my chickens never get on BYC so they won't know what they're missing!
big_smile.png

Chickens don't care where they call home,as long as they are taken care of. Food, water, a nice run to play in and a roost to bed in at night, they're happy. Whether it's an old tv cabinate or a thousand dollar shack just keep them happy, and they will keep you happy.

I have been keeping 12 to 15 birds in this 3 level 4x8 foot print coop for years with no problems. It was being scraped by a neighbour and I renovated and rescued it. Framed the inside with 2x2 and insulated and covered the Styrofoam with veneer from interior doors I picked up as cast aways. Replaced the metal sliding doors with hinged 1/2 inch plywood doors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom