1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a metal shed be turned into a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SlipsWife, Mar 11, 2013.

1. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    We have a metal shed (that was here when we bought our house) that is in the PERFECT location for our coop and is a perfect size. (Until the chicken math catches up and we have to move because I can't stop buying chickens!) [​IMG]

If we don't use this shed we will have to build in a less than ideal spot and start from scratch. The shed is insulated and we could add plenty of ventilation and windows. Is this unheard of? Will it be like an oven to them in the Texas summers? (There are a number of large pecan trees that provide shade in our yard).

2. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I dont think it will be a problem at all..as long as you have some windows and insulation, i think it'll be fine! free chicken coops are awesome!!

3. brezlynsmom

brezlynsmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    With windows they should be fine. Always could add a fan in summer if gets to hot in the building

4. SlipsWife

SlipsWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Odessa, Texas
    Thank you! I think I'm over thinking the entire process...I'm soooooo glad to see I'm not the only one though! There are so many amazing coops and runs out there I'm going to make sure my chickens never get on BYC so they won't know what they're missing! [​IMG]

5. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Chickens don't care where they call home,as long as they are taken care of. Food, water, a nice run to play in and a roost to bed in at night, they're happy. Whether it's an old tv cabinate or a thousand dollar shack just keep them happy, and they will keep you happy.

1 person likes this.
  6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I have been keeping 12 to 15 birds in this 3 level 4x8 foot print coop for years with no problems. It was being scraped by a neighbour and I renovated and rescued it. Framed the inside with 2x2 and insulated and covered the Styrofoam with veneer from interior doors I picked up as cast aways. Replaced the metal sliding doors with hinged 1/2 inch plywood doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by