1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a metal shed be used as a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kvmommy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I found a metal shed on craigslist for $40, seems in ok condition. Do you think its ok for a coop, or should I stick with the pallet coop plan?

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We have one small old rusty metal shed that we use in the grow-out pen. Ugly as sin, but works ok.

3. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    A metal shed would make a GREAT coop!

4. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    It would make a great coop - just make sure you have good ventilation so that it doesn't heat up too much in hot weather.

5. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    Heck ya! just watch out for cold spells:)

6. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Make sure you have a lot of ventalation. We lost a couple of girls last summer in ours because of the heat. that was with vents and the entire front opened up. Our temps do get over 100* daily here in the summer though. We tore ours down and built a new coop after that, but it was always meant to be temporary

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I think it would be awesome. Just keep it cool in summer. Just like an outside coop can get hot, so can a metal one. You can fill 2 litre plastic bottles with water, freeze them and place them inside the shed. The chickens will lay up against them to keep cool. You just need to have two sets so that you can freeze one overnight, while the others keep them cool. It works great. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks...you guys are sooo awesome. I always am impressed by helpful and knowledgeable everyone is on BYC.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Do u have any pics? Sounds like a good find!

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Ventilation is also going to be important in winter or you could get condensation on the inside surfaces of the metal. I think I recall recommendations here to insulate a metal roof to deal with this issue...anyone recall?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by