Can a newbie get some advice?? Thanks in advance!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by volchick, May 20, 2010.

1. volchick

volchick Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. volchick

May 20, 2010
    bump

3. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    If you're wanting to raise the chicks & make them more tame, I would put the hen/eggs in your dog crate since the eggs are so close to hatching. I'm pretty new at this to so I won't say my advice is correct but I'll tell you what I would do. If there's already peeping from inside the egg & you decide not to bring her & the nest inside, I would keep a close eye on the eggs incase one would need assistance. You could even let her hatch them the rest of the way then bring the chicks inside to bond with you. I agree with removing infertile eggs from the nest, but if 2 of them were new, how do you know they weren't fertile? If they were only a day or 2 old they would be clear whether they were fertile or not.

4. volchick

May 20, 2010
    Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing the two eggs that were clear were the new ones. They probably were fertile because we do have a rooster that we always let run loose with our hens. I removed those because I didn't want them to start incubating when the mama would in all likelihood leave them to die once the other chicks hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by