Can a pair of Cornish X actually breed?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by greatestgrammie, Apr 11, 2009.

1. greatestgrammie

greatestgrammie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Amarillo,Tx 79118
    I know this question has probably been asked before but I can't find the question or the answer so here goes. . . .
    I recently bought my first bunch of Cornish X chicks. . . about 10days old. If I save a cockerel/rooster and a pullet/hen out of this bunch can I expect them to breed and reproduce on their own or will they grow too big to realistically expect this?
    I have been told that I can't breed this particular bird as they are sterile which seems quite odd to me.
    If I can control the weight or my Cornish X hen and get her to laying age,will she eventually start laying eggs?( Even if I can't breed her with another Cornish X I would like to keep a few of the pullets/hens as long as I can.)

2. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I recently read an account of a Cornish cross hen that lived to three years. There was no mention of egg laying or lack thereof.

If you do manage to produce chicks from a pair of Cornish crosses, the chicks will not necessarily look like their parents. That is, they will not breed true.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have read a few threads where people have raised them, dont know about the breeding but I think asprin is essential in keeping them from having heart attacks.

4. greatestgrammie

Jul 21, 2008
    Amarillo,Tx 79118
    When you say they will not breed true you are meaning that the recessive genes of the parent bird can come through?

5. Meaning you will not get chicks that are like the parent birds.

6. greatestgrammie

Jul 21, 2008
    Amarillo,Tx 79118
    Of your 100 Cornish broilers,are they old enough to lay eggs and do they infact lay eggs? Though I don' t expect any breed of any age to lay daily,at what age can I expect a Cornish X to start laying?
    Have you had a successful breeding between one Cornish X and another Cornish X?

7. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I don't think it's quite as simple as that with chickens, but that is the general gist of it.

8. greatestgrammie

Jul 21, 2008
    Amarillo,Tx 79118
    Generally speaking,if I have an adult pair of Cornish X,will the two ever actually breed? I'm not concerned as to the purity of the breed being maintained I just wanna know if they can actually breed with each other or if they are too heavy to take care of business.
    I want to know if I can expect my Cornish X to lay eggs?

9. greatestgrammie

Jul 21, 2008
    Amarillo,Tx 79118
    I went to that website as suggested to do and NOTHING. Tells me of how sweet the posters birds are and that she gives them low dose aspirin to help with heart issues that they might have but nothing so far answers the questions I posed.

#1. Can an actual pair of Cornish X breed or are they too big to tackle the feat?

#2. Do Cornish X actually lay eggs or is it possible that they will not live long enough to achieve egg laying age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by