Can a person eat turkey eggs??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kristenm1975, Oct 27, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have just never heard of anyone doing so.

2. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Sure!

We even eat the duck and goose eggs.

Makes a great omelet!

You probably just don't hear much about it because they are much higher maintenance so people usually don't raise Turkeys just for the eggs.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

isnt there only a few breeds of turkeys that naturally reproduce?,, and for the ones that have to be AI ,, do they still lay eggs? ,,,,, turkeys are my next investment in the spring [​IMG]

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Of course you can eat them and of course the broad breasted whites produce eggs. Your typical turkey 'broiler' is a hybrid, though, so may/may not breed 'true'.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Haven't you ever watched Iron Chef??? They had a great show where they used eggs of all sorts, not just fowl eggs, but fish, frog, ets. Also there was one on Turkey and they used all parts to include eggs.

6. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:by reproduce if you mean actually breed naturally,all the heritage breeds do,if by reproduce you mean just lay eggs,even the BB hens will lay eggs,if they live long enough and dont have a heart attack or the legs collapse.the BB I have experienced havent layed a bunch of eggs,very few actually but they do lay,these where refugees that get away from the unloading dock at the turkey plant where I grew up,we would go catch them at night and keep them for awhile until we got around to processing them,some layed eggs.

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Greyfields - do you eat your goose eggs?
    Neither my turkeys or geese have started laying yet. I've heard that the turkey and goose eggs have a stronger flavor than chicken eggs.
    Just wondering...

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have eaten goose eggs. They are just big eggs. I believe under a blind tasting one could not tell apart a chicken, goose or duck egg. At least that's my take on it.

Just like most people wouldn't know they were drinking goat's milk.

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    They are great scrambled. They differ from chook eggs in that the membrane is particularly tough. If the shell is cracked and one sticks one's thumbs in to seperate the shell halves the membrane will give way like a balloon bursting and sometimes ya get to eat some raw as albume(i)n and yolk go spraying about (learned the hard way...).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  10. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Ha! I seem to do that with chicken eggs!!! LOL!
    (Not very coordinated...and even worse of a cook!!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by