Can a pheasant get along with call ducks?

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
A dear friend of mine passed away recently and she had a lone pheasant. It is a female and I was wondering how it would do if I let it live in the same covered enclosure as my call ducks. It had been living in a small wire cage. I want it to have a little more room to live in. What do you think?

They Would Get Along Fine, Yes
But Like Toejam Said, The Disease Risk, Especially In The Mess That Ducks Are Known For Making, Would Be Pretty High.
This Is Even More So For Birds That Have Been Raised On Wire And Never Been On The Ground.

My birds are all raised on ground, but if i have a lot of over flow of young birds, like i do this year and did last year, I've put young ruffed pheasants in with young calls, but the pen is big, other then that they get along fine.

Last edited:
I have all of my birds together in a VERY large enclosure with several different types of floor covering. Sand/ gravel/dirt/straw in one part and tree mulch debris in thhe other.

People say you are not supposed to keep them together for disease passing purposes, but mine have been together for over a year and I have no health issues (other than those dang mites). I used to have quail in there too, but they were killed off by something that burrowed in before we reinforced the enclosure.

The ducks and pheasants sleep outside, chickens go in their house at night. There is a also a small pond for the ducks in thhe mulch area which REALLY keeps the mess from the ducks at a minimum.

Birds can catch random things from anything. I say try it. They have as good a chance as any to catch or not catch anything.

Also, I would try to get it a friend pheasant. All of my birds comingle, but the pheasants like to hang out with each other, the ducks have theiir own "club" that only 3 liittle chicks (that they were raised with) are allowed in, and the chickens bully the pheasants (not violently, just the natural pecking order) and the ducks like to bully the chickens, again, natural pecking order.none of my birds have ever hurt each other. Even when I added 15 more chickens this year. I guess if there is enough room and nobody is overcrowded, the violence is unnecessary.

Quote:
X's 2

you have the LUCKY folks every now and then, or those that just havent done it long enough to get there.
we dont say all this just to be mean or discouraging... 70% or better of the time, it ends bad for one species.
In the end though, people are people, they will do what they want to do.

an easy fix in this deal would be to bring it and it's small cage home with you . Get out one week end and build it a small 8x8 pen of it's own with a 4x4 shelter, find it a mate this fall, and have a happy, healthy pair of pheasants.
I do agree with bruder that in VERY large pens, the risk is lower than in small ones, main reason is they arent standing in each others poo all day.
I used to keep swinhow pheasants in my wild duck enclosures, but these were 10,000 sq foot pens too.

but with pheasants, if a chicken, turkey, duck or goose sneezes, the pheasant dies??? They just dont seem to have the immune system other birds have.

Diseases will kill it, best not to
The only way they will spread disease is if they already have them. If all are healthy, why worry about it? All of mine are together. I recently had random blood test done and nobody has any diseases. I have had poultry since I was a child and never worried about spreading anything to anyone. When I bring in new poultry I quarantine them in a pen way far away from the rest in case they are sick with something. They don't go in with anyone till I know they are healthy.

Quote:

X's 2

you have the LUCKY folks every now and then, or those that just havent done it long enough to get there.
we dont say all this just to be mean or discouraging... 70% or better of the time, it ends bad for one species.
In the end though, people are people, they will do what they want to do.

an easy fix in this deal would be to bring it and it's small cage home with you . Get out one week end and build it a small 8x8 pen of it's own with a 4x4 shelter, find it a mate this fall, and have a happy, healthy pair of pheasants.
I do agree with bruder that in VERY large pens, the risk is lower than in small ones, main reason is they arent standing in each others poo all day.
I used to keep swinhow pheasants in my wild duck enclosures, but these were 10,000 sq foot pens too.

but with pheasants, if a chicken, turkey, duck or goose sneezes, the pheasant dies??? They just dont seem to have the immune system other birds have.

Back
Top Bottom