Can a plastic egg be "bad?"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickensREasy, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ChickensREasy

ChickensREasy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    Northern California
    My BR hens have been laying for a couple months now without issue but I thought maybe a plastic egg would be a good thing. I guess I thought maybe they would feel better if their nest wasn't totally empty most the time. I found a light tan plastic egg, an abandoned kid's toy and put it in the nest but the next day it was across the coop. They've never done that to the real eggs so I am wondering if it didn't smell right or something and if it might be damaging rather than helping to their laying habits?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

They may have just been playing with it. It might actually be good. If they crack it open and find nothing exciting inside, they will leave regular eggs alone. Some of my girls hate plastic eggs being in the nests and boot them out before they will lay in there.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You might want to put a rock in it, and pad it with tissue so it is the approximate weight of a real egg. I took some plastic easter eggs and did that. These eggs had little faces on them, which I found to be a bit disconcerting, so i used alcohol and a kitchen knife and scraped the faces off, then weighted them, and super glued them shut.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Golf balls work well also...

5. ChickensREasy

ChickensREasy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    Northern California
    I would have to make a hole in it to fill it since it is not the type of egg to open.
    Fortunately since I put it back and posted this originally they have left it alone for the most part.
    Maybe kicking it across the coop was an accident when they were nesting because it is so light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by