can a pullet be too young to hatch/broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Montie, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Montie

Montie New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    hi all

I've got a five and half month old pullet that has gone broody on me. She has been laying for five to six week now. If i chose to let her hatch I have a small coop to transfer her to and i can get fertile eggs from a friend. my question is is she too young to let stay the course or should I break her of her broodiness. also here is a pic took today

[​IMG]

2. Montie

Montie New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    here is a video clip of the of her from this afternoon
    [​IMG]

3. Montie

Montie New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    Update let everyone out of coop this morning. Found a small egg in that nest along with all the golf balls that were under her. She has now been out of coop for nearly an hour and she doesn't appear to be going back anytime soon. Was this false alarm or just a sign that she'll fully go broody soon. Also the roo was giving extra attention this morning if you know what I mean.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I think she's learning how to handle all those female hormones. It will even out in a couple of months. I have an EE that is consistently giving me 3 double yolkers a week, and regular eggs the other 2 to 3 days. I expect that will smooth out as well, as she gets used to laying eggs.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Truly broody usually means staying on the nest for 3 full days and nights...along with the behavior on the video.

Some will squawk when disturbed on the nest even if not broody.

New layers can take some time to drop those eggs, any layer can spend more time than others dropping their eggs while some go in 10 mins and out again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by