Can a RIR/RIR cross produce hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PoultryGhana, Sep 9, 2010.

1. PoultryGhana

PoultryGhana New Egg

Apr 11, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    If I cross a male & female Rhode Island Red, what would be the outcome of their offspring. Will they be good layers? I need to be educated in this. Thanks

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you would get a RIR:) its only when you mate different breeds that you will get mutts or a different breed created. SOme cross to improve characteristics in breeds some do it for fun or accidental My one and onyl RIR hasnt laid an egg in 4 months-she is almost 4??? she laid huge eggs for a good year

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Ummm...if you cross two RIRs you will have purebred chicks if you hatch the eggs? No offense intended just don't understand the question...

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have pullets and a cockerel that are RIRs. RIRs are good layers, but are a bit temperamental. They can be a bit on the aggressive side, especially the roosters. I like mine, but I don't love them. They are good production birds, but don't have any endearing qualities that make them special.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You will get more Rhode Island reds, and they will have the temperment and egg laying capabilities of the parent stock. Like begets like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by