can a roo beat a hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Spore, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Spore

Spore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Oregon
    if i have a roo will it scare the hawk away? thanks.

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Not necessarily... I have 6, and a falcon got one of my hens this past fall [​IMG] [​IMG] What a roo will hopefully do is sound a good warning to everybody else, so they can hide/take cover. My boys DO do that [​IMG] The hen that got caught was a polish, who had a big poof of a hat on top, and I'm sure that's why she didn't make it to safety along with all the others. My hens will dash for safety if they hear the alarm - My boys have saved them more than once [​IMG]

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    You can try hanging cd's up around the coop, it sorta keeps the hawks at bay.

4. Guineas really do a better job of this. You need about 10 and they are on the watch.

My chickens have been in the barn more than out because i have a hawk about the property lately.

The Guineas tend to buddy up and the hawks really do not go after them in a group.

5. chickenchaser99

chickenchaser99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Today 1:41 am

Emzyyy
    Runs with Deer
    E-mail PM
    View My BYC Page

Re: can a roo beat a hawk

You can try hanging cd's up around the coop, it sorta keeps the hawks at bay.
    2 Boston Terriers, 2 Paraketts, 1 Zebra Finch, 1 Desert Tortoise, 3 Golden Sebrights, 2 Silver Sebrights, a German Spitzhauben, 3 Polish, 2 EE's, 3 Red Silkies, 2 White Silkies, and a Modern Game Bantam, a Khaki Campbell, a Cayuga, and a mean Piegon.

why whats it do [​IMG]

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Highly unlikely, as a hawk is much better at attacking prey, and with those Talons I would think the Rooster wouldn't have a chance.

AL

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The flashing is supposed to deter them. They can't hunt in an area where there is so much visual disturbance. They don't work that well, though.

ETA- I'm talking about CDs not roos.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  8. Kennyog

Kennyog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    I have heard of game roosters that were gritty enough to take on a hawk.

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have the cd's and they seem to keep the hawks away, never had a problem - I also have an owl with a moveable head - fake

10. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Had a coopers hawk after my bantys once. He landed on a fence post and with roos in the lead my entire flock of bantys (18) advanced like any good meerkat band.They had a standoff for a few moments and hawk left puzzled no doubt about the many headed chicken.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by