Can a roo learn how to be a good roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmaddie's mom, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Can a roo learn how to be a good roo or is it something that just comes naturally? Lost my main roo 2 days ago and the 2nd in command is not doing very good... nobody listens to him when he calls them for food and tonight nobody went into the coop after free ranging (they have always free ranged all day/every day and my old roo brought them in in the evening). Will the new boss get any better... he's over a year old but has always been 2nd in command.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Maybe he isnt used to being the boss, give him some time. once he figures out the old boss is gone hopefully he will tske over the job.
    good luck

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Usually when there is reluctance to enter the coop it is because they were attacked in there. Was your other rooster attacked in the coop?

4. mmaddie's mom

Quote:Oh he has no trouble going in to the coop... it's just that no one else was following him... they don't consider him their leader... yet. If they don't start following him as head roo, maybe one of this springs hatch will step up to the job!

5. mmaddie's mom

The good news is that my old roos favorite 4 wives are now sticking with the roo who took over... either that or he is sticking with them now that he's not getting chased off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by