...Can A Rooster Be "Reprogrammed"?...Need Advice, Please.(long post)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TJ, Nov 10, 2007.

1. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    ...Hello, last week we had a dog attack happen in our chicken house and pen. The dogs busted thru the door and side of the pen and attacked and killed some of my chickens. Two were dead, one had to be put down, one died several days later and one more will most likely need to be put down as well...

...One of the chickens that was injured was my Golden Polish Roo'. He's very sweet, good natured, good to the girls, an all around good guy. Well, I kept him and an injured hen separate from the group in a wire pen inside the chicken house. During this time, another rooster that I have a Golden Laced Wyandotte (who is a lil' bossy, a lil' pushy and large in size) has been the only roo' walkin' about and ruling the roost for now. There never ever has been any problems with my roosters not getting along before. Until now...

...The other day my Polish Roo' was ready to be part of the regular group again so I let him out of the hospital pen, within moments my other roo' came over and started pecking him to the floor! This has never happened before. So I have since put my GLW roo' in a wire pen by himself inside the chicken house until I can decide what to do... My Polish roo' is doing fine but you can tell he is not quite back to his normal self yet. He seems down, doesn't mate or crow but he eats and drinks well.

...My question is, can I reprogram my GLW roo' back to his former self? Can I keep him confined and try and reintroduce him to the group in hopes that they will all get along like before? Should I keep him confined with the others or take him completely away from the group? I really don't want to give him away but I don't want to get rid of my sweet Polish roo' either... What would you do?

...Thanks for reading![​IMG]

TJ

2. Bubba

Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    You cannot "FIX" him. His aggressive instincts were being kept in check by the other roosters now dead. Once they were gone and you took the leftover dominate (golden polish) roo out he became the boss. Now that he thinks hes the boss unless you get a really strong rooster he won't back down. Once you're Polish is back up to full health he might be able to defend himself, but he will prolly never be the dominate roo again (He will always get attacked whenever bossy feels he should...)

I would try to get some new offspring for next year from the GLW then get rid of him once his genetics are passed on. Some birds you just can't help, unless you want two flocks of birds....Think about that a second a whole new flock, you could get some extra hens, some nice new blues and splashes. Maybe a couple of exotics. For sure you'd toss some new cockeralls in there to, oh the possibilities [​IMG]

Bubba

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I agree, once they figure out they're boss, they're nearly impossible to "put in their place". I doubt that your Polish roo will gain his position back as long as the GLW is throwing his weight around. I've had roos in the same pen that have challenged the head roo, and once I found one dead, trying to hide from his challenger. It's a real psychological thing with them. [​IMG]

I would do as suggested and keep him by himself, and if you want, give him a couple of the girls to have as company. That way they'll have their own girls to look over, and you won't have your poor Polish wishing he was in the pen.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can try to "re introduce him" but chances are if he's bigger and stronger... it wont do anything. I had a top roo for 6-7 years once. He ruled the roost, then one day, his own child came up and dualed him. His kid beat him... and not too long later, I found him dead by the coop door.

It's a mental thing. I have a silkie hen who's top of the roost now of 12 week old roo's who are twice her size.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Unfortunately, we cannot choose their places in the hierarchy for them. They work out their own places in the flock, for better or worse. The GLW has decided he is the King now and he won't give it up without a fight; and he'll probably win that fight.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He will also probably fight to the death to keep that position.

They get deadly serious about the Alpha roo position.

7. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Oh you guys are killing me (and I mean that nicely)... That was so not the answers I was hoping for but somehow knew I would get.

And 'Bubba' you're right, the other rooster that died just days ago did keep the big guy in check. And you realize your comment is feeding my addiction don't you? lol... And a second flock?! If I went to my dear husband with that one I'd be right back on here asking you all, "my husband says I have to choose between him or my chickens, which one should I choose?"... lol...

Gosh, I don't wanna have to make this decision you all. Isn't this sad? A 45 year old woman wringing her hands over two roosters! [​IMG]

Ya know, what is even worse is the fact that the GPolish roo' was an extra from the hatchery and the GLW roo' was the actual roo' that I ordered. Now here I sit having to decide between the two.
    And I'm afraid that you 'Blisschick', 'silkiechicken', 'speckledhen' and 'rooster-red' are all right also. I thought about removing him completely away and see if I couldn't try putting him back in a couple of weeks or so but he is a 'king' roo', he looks the part and acts the part too. I honestly don't think he'll let that go...

Well, thank you all for your input. I guess I've got some decision making to do...(*sigh*) I'll keep you all posted as to who stays and who goes!

Have a great weekend and thank you again!

You all are the BEST! [​IMG]

Warm regards,
    TJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by