Can a rooster become a mamma hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CartierChicken, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I so should have brought a camera to the coop. I have the coop slit in 2, and just moved my 5 week olds back in there. They were 2 1/2 weeks when they lost their mother, and have been inside ever since. I have a heater in there. I have also been nursing my poor rooster, as he has been ousted by the new rooster. I decided to put him in with the chicks as he seems so unhappy kept in the house. When I went in to see how everyone was settling in, I found my old rooster on the perch with 2 chicks on him, 2 under his wing on one side, and 2 under his wing on the other side, then on pressed in to him. I could not believe my eyes.

2. Mom2sixpeeps

Mom2sixpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe, GA
    Awe, how sweet!!!

3. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    sounds like he a great guy. i am going to say yes because i have a bantum rooster named hermie. he is a sweet heart when my broody hens chicks come out for the frist time it is hermie that will jump in the pen and help take care of them he will call them for feed ,protect them along with the hen,walk around the barn yard like a proud parent. he just the best rooster

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Oh my gosh! My heart just melted! [​IMG]

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

We have a pair of bantams that the hen just hatched 6 out of 7 eggs a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday the rooster had two of the chicks under his wing. The other four were across the coop with Mamma.

What's really funny is they are seperated because this roo fights every other chicken on the farm. [​IMG]

6. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    That is very common in Bantam races, and some araucana roos.

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have silkies and when the babies are to big to all get under mama they get under the rooster

8. merry hens

merry hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    How delightful! I once had a Sebright cockerel who adopted 7 chicks (they were his younger siblings) and never left them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by