1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a Rooster Get Frostbite Twice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Dec 9, 2013.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Last winter my beautiful rooster got a bad case of frostbite and lost one tip of his gorgeous comb. I was so sad. I read many places that once a rooster experiences frostbite, he is not susceptible to it again in the future, that somehow the initial episode of frostbite sort of cauterizes the comb off or something, as I understood it. But I'm not sure I believe this. Does anyone know whether it is true? My rooster's comb is looking bad again, and I'm wondering if he's going to have to suffer again this winter. I notice he is shaking his head a lot, just like he did last winter when it got super cold and snowy like it is here now, with increased humidity.

2. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    My rooster would not stand for having Vaseline applied to his comb. He's a feisty boy and would not allow such a treatment.

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm thinking of buying a hygrometer to test the humidity in the coop. Does anyone else do this? If so, which brand of hygrometer is best, in your opinion?

4. Random Bantam

Random Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    NE Ohio
    We have four free-range roosters, that have access to a closed garage w/heat. They still choose to roost up in our apple tree! Two of them have lost their combs. I attempted to contain them, but they just wouldn't have it.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,damage to tissue and blood vessels caused by frostbite makes the area more susceptible to recurrent frostbite.
    Frostbite is about heat loss,not cold. With frostbite skin freezes and underlying blood vessels become damaged,blood flow is halted to affected area. With 3rd degree frostbite all layers of skin are involved and causes permanent damage.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

He can get frostbite again for sure.

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, darn!

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the info, even though it wasn't what I was wanting to hear. The other folks had it backwards, then. They claimed that it wouldn't be a problem in the future, that a rooster only gets frostbite once. That didn't make any sense to me, unless the whole comb was gone, already.

Poor boy. I noticed in his first summer that the back of his comb seemed dark, rather purple, and I think he doesn't have the best circulation in it, even in warm weather, so maybe that's why he was so susceptible to frostbite, rather than it being due to excess humidity in the coop?

He didn't seem to suffer that much in this summer's terrible 105 F heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by