Can a rooster of different breed fertilize, and if so what comes out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Queen Chika, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Queen Chika

Queen Chika Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    Ok, this could be a totally stupid question, but i have no one to help me learn about my chickens, so bare with me. I have a Polish Rooster (who I love to death), but can he fertilize my Americauna, Barred Rock, and Blue Andelusian, basically a different breed? If so, what happens? [​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yes he can. You will get a cross between you roo, and the hen.

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    [​IMG] yes he can. and you will have a mix, roo X hen= mix chicks

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    they're just like dogs.. cats. horses.. etc.. Doesn't matter on the breed/colors. long as they're a chicken. they'll even cross with turkeys/guineas/peacocks if they can. But those rarely make it and the ones that do come out sterile. see Feathersite.com

5. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Ok...another silly question from a greenhorn. When you say MIX do you men mixed breed or mixed sex? If it is mixed breed and it is a hen, will it lay eggs. If you mean mixed sex, I assume they would be just happy little chickens, no eggs and no singing? Thanks for the info. Pam: [​IMG]

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    mix breeds. Jean

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    mutts

8. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:They will be mix breeds not mixed sex. The boys will have normal boy parts and sing and girls normal girl parts and do all the normal girlie things. The hens will lay eggs same as any other hen. Depending on the mix of parents the egg colors will be a wide range.

I have seen some mixes (or mutts) that are very attractive. Look at all the Easter Eggers on here, they're mixes. Don't let the mix or mutt terminology discourage you. They are awesome to look at and own, just not for show.

9. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Thank you so much for the answers, that's what I thought, but as my DH would say, she's not usually right...LOL
    [​IMG]

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Yup. You'll get a good ole barnyard mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by