Can a rooster spot a good broody?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Just a curiosity here.

Our new flock leader is TJ. He's 4 1/2 months old. He's doing all his rooster duties, including mating the hens. He's not obsessive about mating, he just gets the job done.

The only hen TJ is obsessive about is Doe, a SF that is my best broody. She is in isolation right now due to an injury. When we take her outside each day for some exercise and fresh air, TJ makes a beeline for her. He gets all frantic about trying to mate her (which we are not allowing, due to her injury).

DH's hypothesis is that Doe is the most submissive of the hens. My hypothesis is that TJ knows that Doe is a good broody and will or could provide him with lots of offspring.

What do you think?

Hmmmm....neat theory. I will have to watch for that in my flock (if I ever manage to get a roo). I don't know how i manage to get nothing but pullets out of the straight run bin, ugh!

Quote:
Whoa, we need to talk! According to another thread, I "ooze" roodoo hoodoo voodoo. (ewww, right?) But yes, see my title, I can make roosters appear almost overnight.

Quote:
Whoa, we need to talk! According to another thread, I "ooze" roodoo hoodoo voodoo. (ewww, right?) But yes, see my title, I can make roosters appear almost overnight.

And if that don't work, I have a few you can have. Do you want:

Brahma - dark over light
Turken - pretty pretty colors

Or

Trahma?
hmm.png

Hi Ranchy, I'd love some of your hoodoo, but it hasn't worked for me yet. Sour's juju did though, all my hens are blowing up like beach balls and clucking like mad scientists. Only one is full-blown broody though. Have some under my broody, and some fixing to go in the bator, so maybe I'll get lucky (and be able to quit buying other people's hatching eggs).

Back
Top Bottom