Can a rooster take on the "motherly role" of a chick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mlpope89, Feb 12, 2014.

1. mlpope89

mlpope89 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Texarkana, Texas
    I am not very sure what gender my chicken is "it" is around 7 months old and has shown no usigns of being a rooster or a hen. Her tail feathers say hen but her gobble thing is to large for a hen. Anyway, "it" was the only thing left after my other chicken strangely disappeared. I found a chick that was 5 weeks old and out them together right away. I started noticing that "it" was letting the chick under it's wing to sleep. The chick new nothing about scratching and pecking but the older one taught the baby how to do all these things. I'm just wondering what the gender is and why they took so easily to each other?
    Thank you!

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

you would need to put a picture of "it" for us to tell you the gender. Try to get one from side, top view, and front. We need to see the neck, tail, and saddle feathers. Do you know what breed it is?

3. mlpope89

Nov 17, 2013
    Texarkana, Texas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6120632/width/200/heightStanfordG]
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6160395/width/200/height/400

I don't have a top view because of where she is sleeping tonight. it is a Silver Laced Wyandote. I can get a few more in the morning when they cone out to scratch.

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    I think hen! but I'm still not the best at this so wait for more experienced people on here.

5. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks like a hen to me. Mine are only 4 months old but their combs and wattles are getting big. Here is a picture of a Rooster I pulled off google. Hope this helps ya
    [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You have a wyandotte cockerel, and it is not unusual for a rooster to parent a youngter. In fact, more males will parent an adopted chick than will hens. I am not all that familiar with wyandotte personalities, but I have certainly had it occur with my silkies, silkie crosses and males of other breeds that tend to brood.

Your bird is very definitely male.

7. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

That is a hen coloration for a Silver Laced Wyandotte. The wattles are saying rooster though. Hen colored rooster?

8. mlpope89

Nov 17, 2013
    Texarkana, Texas
    Was once told that he was a hen because of his saddle feathers. This was becausecthr feathers where more round than a roosters. But if he is a rooster why hasn't he crowed or grown any spurs yet? Ans if he's a hen why no eggs?

9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

Maybe because (s)he is both.

10. chickenboy100

chickenboy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Southwest PA
    That's what I thought... We had a hen who laid eggs once, and crowed the next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by