Can a rooster's spurs be permanently removed, so that they wont grow back ?

aurimilky

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I have a young rooster that is around 6 months old. That has not grown his spurs yet, he has little bumps on the back of his legs. If he does grow spurs in the future can they be permanently removed, so that they wont grow back ?

You can file them down or dull the points with dog nail clippers to keep them from being too sharp. You can also remove them totally with pliers in a twisting motion. That will leave a little soft inner pink tissue, that might be sensitive for a few days. I had to do that to my rooster who had once broken off his spurs, then had them grow back in twisted and growing into the backs of his legs. They were too thick for the nail clippers, so I found they twisted off fairly easily with the pliers. His spur buds did not bleed, but when he tore them off before they did bleed. They will slowly grow back.

Get him used to being picked up and handled. I give a grape or two and say "good boy", to reinforce cooperative behavior. Use this time to build trust with him, so he knows you will not hurt him or the hens. Lots of alone time with you and some goodies.

Then, buy a Dremmel tool, and learn how to use well. Or, there are other methods online. They can even be popped off, but will re-harden and continue to grow in 2-4 weeks.

Part of having a rooster is managing their physical needs. Trimming and buffing the spurs 2-3 times a year, checking the feet for bumblefoot or injury, checking the scales on the legs for scaly leg mite, and administering meds and vitamins. If you want them to breed well you will even have to give them a booty bath! LOL!!!

If you keep the rooster healthy and happy, your hens will benefit too. He'll be relaxed and won't injure the hens with his spurs. These are all things I do for my "Frito". He is three and half years old now, and so important to the flock. He helps me by keeping the peace within the flock, as there are a couple of trouble makers. He alerts to any predators and teaches the newbies chicken etiquette. Ha-ha-ha, I think he's earned a raise!

Also, I do believe they can be removed by a Veterinarian, using electrocautery to stop the growing cells of the spur. They have to be very young though. I think it's similar to having goats de-horned, only they burn them off. Or, like de-clawing a cat, which is a life of pain for the cat.

Yikes! Sounds horrible...

why u not want him to have any spur? u scared of him
u can cut of like u do tonail look at utube they got vids u can see how to do it

It can help to keep spurs trimmed and dull since they can inflict severe cuts or damage on hens, as well as other birds and people. It is amazing how sharp they can get. Just clipping off that sharp point can help. Many hens end up with deep lacerations under the wings that may not be noticed until infection or flystrike has set in.

So happy to read this! My rooster has sliced through my rain boots and cut me through my jeans.. He can be a jerk sometimes, but he is so good to my hens. I will be removing or using my dremel, I really don't like getting spurred!

Last edited:
The epsom salt baths for my recovering rooster have worn down his spurs to a ridiculously sharp point. Are there any blood sources inside the spurs, such as when a cat's claw is trimmed?

I'd like to file them down to about half the size and round them so there isn't any risk of Henry hurting a creature of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom