1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a senior citizen (hen) move in with my girls? updated and photos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cheryl, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls are 22 weeks old now...my neighbor offered me her last hen and I'm wondering if she would be a successful addition. She is a white leghorn 9 years old and I guess last summer was still laying an egg a day. Their girls are grown up and they no longer have an interest. As always your opinions would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to take her until spring as my pen hasn't been built yet...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I don' see why not. Just quarantine and intro her slowly.
    Bravo for wanting to take in an older lady [​IMG]

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    That is wonderful, I adopted a few months ago, two older and one younger. The older ones are still here but I had to send the younger one back. Mine were killing her, literally so she took them back no problem.

I would do it again I would love to help out a grandma.

Good luck it will come out fine. [​IMG]

4. Cheryl

Grandma has been alone for over a year...I feel so bad for her!!! But honestly didn't know they only had one chicken...She is not exposed to anything, so I don't imagine that quarantining her will be necessary, except to make sure that no one picks on her! I wish my pen were made, but more snow is coming, and my girls are inside the coop for most of the day, they get out in the late afternoon when I can keep an eye on them.

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I read this in a book, give it a try?

When you bring home grandma slip her into the coop at night (place her on a roosr) when they are all asleep an they will be relaxed and more likely to accept her, then watch her during the day. If they bother her treat them like you would a dog get up close to them and make it clear you are not happy. They just might listen.

good luck keep us posted I am very interested in this

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  6. Cheryl

Back to the old lady, ie "grandma"...she is all alone and literally across the street, healthy and lonely, do I really need to quarantine her? Relatively speaking, she already is! Would love to do it now, but still no pen, it's snowing again!!!

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I have introduced a sweet old girl to mine once and she was so accepted, they didnt hassle her at all, they knew she was old and not a threat. As long as theres ample food and they dont compete at dinner times, she should be fine.

I myself always introduce newbies to my yard first so I can show them where everything is and take them on the "grand tour" of the garden!!!
    Then I let the girls out and turn my head and block my ears!!! well I wish I could but really I intervene with some harsh words of advice.
    Perhaps at least fence her off so she can meet them safely through the wire.
    With regard to the quarantine, we dont have nasty diseases here so Ive never had a problem with instant sharing.,
    I think the dear old chook will love to have some feathered friends to live out the rest of her days with. Who knows she may even lay an egg or 2. [​IMG]
    Good luck, do whatever feels right for you.

8. Cheryl

I went over to the neighbors house today and asked if they still wanted me to take their 9 year old white leghorn. She is a sweet thing...not until I put her out in the yard did I discover she had a tangled up mass of dried up poo on her bottom. Owner was rather embarrassed, but I told her it was OK I would bring her right in and take care of it. But we did leave her out to see how things would go...of course one of mine immediately pecked at her bottom... She has now had a bath, I had to also trim with scissors and has been blown dry. (Learned that all her at BYC [​IMG] ) She was very cooperative about the blow dryer, rather indignant about the bath! She is back outside, and has FLOWN out of the yard 3 times...my girls are very happy, she obviously wants to explore. Things are looking a bit better now, I check on her every 5 minutes and she seems to be staying in the yard now. Here are a couple of pictures. A couple of mine have tried to show her how is boss and have backed right down. Oh and she dropped an egg in the yard, I couldn't figure out what she was doing, so just sat there and watched...I'm glad it didn't break upon landing!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  9. Cheryl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Of course it would actually help to post them!!! duh

10. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Beautiful looking girl you have there! Id never guess she was that old:) Hope all goes well!

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by