Can a silkie be compatible with an OEGB?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barbieszoo, Dec 3, 2011.

1. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    Does anyone have any idea whether a silkie hen and an OEGB hen would get along well temperament-wise? They would be together all the time with no others in with them. The silkie would be the resident hen with the OEGB being the newcomer.

2. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I have 2 OEGB's with my silkies. They are hatch mates they have always been together. But they get along fine if you are incorporating them as adults. I would keep a close eye on them for a while to make sure they get along..Good Luck [​IMG]

3. AprilW

AprilW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    north Georgia
    I had a mixed flock of bantams for a while. My one silkie (a roo) was the lowest on the pecking order. Now that I have only Silkies, his temperament is completely different. He no longer runs from me - he is much more personable. Just watch and make sure that one or the other isn't being picked on. In my experience the OEGBs were near the top of the pecking order with my Cochin roo and his lifelong mate at the very top.

4. miohippus

miohippus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    I don't have any silkies so I'm not sure what there temperament is but I do have a OEGB She is at the top of the peaking order in my mixed flock too. When I added a big andalusian roo she was the worst one at terrorizing him, she would jump on his back and peck at his comb, but she didn't bother my polish hen which I added about the same time I don't know why for sure I think it was she was a girl but idk. My OEGB is about the same size as your Seramas idk their temperament either but you could posably put her with them also. Did you find a mille fleur OBGB I know you like that color?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by