Can a silkie broody hatch pekin duck eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by porkchop48, Sep 28, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    My silkie hens will be here today ( already arrived at the post office just waiting for the call)

My one pekin is laying her eggs in a nest but due to their not so good mothering habits I am worried she is not going to set them. Is it possible to have a silkie set them? Now the whole nest but maybe a couple?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think a broody Silkie could hatch chocolate Easter eggs and golf balls! Go for it. If you get a good broody, she should be happy to sit on just about anything. I've seen stories and photos on here of Silkies brooding everything from ducklings to guinea keets, peafowl chicks to goslings. I remember a really funny photo of a little Silkie trying frantically to sit on top of a couple of goslings that were nearly the same size as her, and get them tucked safely under her wings. Your Pekin eggs should be fine once your Silkie hens have had a chance to settle in and settle down in their new home. It might take a couple of months though so don't just expect them to go broody immediately. You might also want to test them out with some less precious eggs first just to gauge what kind of mothers they are...

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I sold some silkies and the reason they wanted them was to hatch duck eggs. So I think it can be done.

4. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    My silkie hatched out light brahma eggs which was a sight to see. She had these giant babies running after her which was so funny to watch but she took care of them. Next time you know the bird is at the p.o. you can call them & ask if she can be picked up rather than wait for them to call you. I call all the time before they call me & they are glad the bird is out of there too

5. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I was not making the trip at 3:30 to go get them :) I had to be a work at eight so I picked them up at 7:30 ish on my way to work.

Made the day at work just a little but more fun having them run all over my office :)

They are nestled into their new home now and I can going to wait on broodiness signs with some golf balls and when it happens move some pekin eggs in :)

I can not wait.

6. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    No I would not get up at 3:30 either. That is just an accident waiting to happen. I've expected chickens and waited until they called me then learned I can call earlier to see if they were there yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by