1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a silkie hatch and brood chicks in an Indiana winter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joebryant, Nov 21, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

My silkie is going broodie AGAIN. If I were to put six to eight fertile eggs under her now, would she be able to bring the eggs to hatching, and then could she keep the chicks warm enough until they got enough feathers? If I had to, I could plug in a red heat lamp for the chicks if I had to.

EDIT: I could also incubate a dozen eggs in my incubator and replace the two wooden eggs that she's setting now with the chicks when they hatch.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Why not? We have a Silkie sitting on 4 eggs right now.

3. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    We have one sitting on 4 eggs now too.
    They should be hatching soon. We have candled and they were growing.
    We'll see how many hatch. Figured we would have to take them from her?
    Best of luck,
    Angela

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    They can do it I am in kentucky and just a bit of advice if they do not hatch on day 21 dont worry mine did not hatch till day 26 I learned this the hard way. CANDLE BEFORE BREAKING ANY OPEN!

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Once the babies hatch give momma and babies a light, I have had a baby freeze to death during winter here in Alabama. If they get out from under mommy during the night and can't see to get back where they belong the go fast. It really is best to collect the eggs and let her get over being broody and let her set later in the winter. It is a very tought time for babies to grow when the temperatures are down or a regular basis. It is possible but not ideal by a long shot.

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. It has turned out that the silkie hen is not broodie this morning. If she does go broodie later, I'll know now what to do and what not to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by