Can a silkie hen lay an egg at 15 weeks???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CammieSilkie, Nov 13, 2010.

1. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    My 8 silkies are only about 15 weeks old. Most of them are healthy happy average sized silkeis for that age, exept for Erica, a humongous white silkie i have!! She seems to be maturing much faster than the others. (some of them are maturing much slower, my littlest one, Nuggets, is about the size of a four week old!!! idk why.. [​IMG]) They are all very healthy and are free range, and they always stay together in a group wherever they go. But today Erica wouldn't stay with the flock. she kept her distance from them, and repeatedly kept laying down in strange spots. I tried to catch her so i could bring her inside to see if something was wrong, but she was being really vicious and wouldn't let me near her!! odd.. so she was making a strange bock, a bit like.. "bokbokbokbok BACKAWCK! bokbokbokbok BACKAWK! " and chickens usually only make this noise when laying eggs.. And now she wont let anybody near her, and shes under bush in my front yard laying down, and she looks really wide eyed. she's been there for an hour or so, and i think she may be laying an egg, but she's only 15 weeks!!! could it be because she matures fast, or what? do you think shes laying an egg? If she already layed an egg is she sitting on it and i just cant tell? wow i'm new to the chicken world and our first egg is so exiting to me!

2. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Did you actually get an egg and... are you sure she is a she? Just wondering because 15 wks is when my silkie "Harriet" started acting differently and oh yeah... crowing...and was way bigger than everybody else... and was renamed "Harry".

deb g
    KY

3. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yep. She's a girl. and no we didnt get an egg, i think.. she may have laid it under a pile of wood where i cant reach, or she could of just been really broody. We have 3 roosters. This morning, Dil, the huge dominant rooster crowed for the very first time! for a first crow, it was IMPRESSIVE. he crowed 6-7 times out of the blue, all of them, perfect crow's you'd hear from an adult rooster. it was insane!!!

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    15 weeks isn't totally unreasonable for a first egg. Generally the production hens start that early. And when they go to lay their first egg, it can be quite dramatic for them. They may act strange for a day or so as they work out what's going on. Keep an eye on her and if you don't have an egg yet, you should soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by