Can a silkie roo's comb be too small?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by onthespot, Dec 29, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I got a roo today that has a small, symetrical comb that is only about as long as his beak is long... It is so much smaller than I have seen on any of my other silkie roos... At what point do you say "Nah, his comb is too small." or is that like saying too rich , too thin?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are some breeders (and judges for that matter) who feel that the smaller the comb the better. I am not one. I don't care how large the comb is if it is properly shaped. FWIW, I've never seen a properly shaped comb that was so big that it unbalanced the bird or completely blocked vision--I have seen many ones with icky shape (to use a technical term [​IMG] ) that did one or both.

Comb size is related to virility, and many of the cocks with tiny combs cannot or will not breed on their own. My personal take is that if the comb is correctly shaped and the bird can and does breed on his own (and actually fertilize the eggs) go ahead and use him. You might want to pair him with a hen who has a larger comb. If he cannot or will not breed, consider whether his traits are worth using AI or not.

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Pictures?? [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Here is a pic of the girls, but his comb is peeping out from behind them. It was too late, raining and getting dark, couldn't get a pic of him tonight.
    [​IMG]

5. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Seems like my boys with bigger combs have more fertile eggs....

6. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:Seems like my boys with bigger combs have more fertile eggs....

Can we see a picture of a properly sized/shaped comb??

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The standard does not list a "proper size." For that matter, it does not describe a size at all. Breeders differ as to what they believe is a correct size. As I have stated before, shape is what concerns me, not size. The comb could be the size of the Empire State Building (not really, but you get the idea) and I would be happy if the shape is correct.

Here is a correctly shaped walnut comb; please forgive that the colour is too red, and the bird is not a pure silkie; it is the best photo I have of a correct walnut comb.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by