Can a single quail live alone ~ happily?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by StephanieD, Jul 12, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    A friend found a quail outside her home, she could not find an owner. It is very friendly. She put it in a cage and is thinking about keeping it. Any suggestions for her?

Can a quail live alone? in a large pet carrier? what do you feed it?

2. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    We have a single male quail that I hatched. He lives by himself. He has his whole life after he killed one of his female brood mates (long story). The females died off one by one and he's the only one left. I talk to him a lot and let him out of his cage (he gets free run of the room while I do chores) then I shoo him back in his cage. I treat him like I do my cage birds (parakeets, lovebird). Once in a while, I'll hold him and rub the back of his neck and talk to him eye to eye. He tolerates it, but I know I don't do it often enough that it doesn't terrorize him to some extent!

I give him gamebird layer or starter, however you can get it at the feed store only in 50 lb bags. For one quail, you could probably get away with flock (look for turkey) crumbles or chicken crumbles if you have to (usually the feed store has 10 lb bags). He likes millet as a treat and in an emergency, you could feed them birdseed. You can buy 5 lb bags of gamebird feed over the internet such as Manna Pro. I've never fed mine birdseed as a whole diet, only as treat along side their crumbles (about 1 tablespoon per bird). I give them bread (usually, our heels, whole wheat), apple halves, lettuce, spinach, and carrot peelings as treats as well. He will eat mealworms, but I limit them to 5 a day. They are pigs about them (if they like them) and they will come up to you and eat them out of your hand.

If you decide to go with the 50 lb bag, I have an air tight dog food container that I keep it in. For my 3 quail, I'd go through 2 bags a year (the girls would waste a lot of it, though). The container kept everything nice and bug free.

I know that the more experienced keepers will frown on some of my recommendations, I know it's not the "right" thing to do, but since there is only one as a pet, sometimes you have to make do with what you have. I live in the city and my feed store is over 50 miles away, so do my best with what I have available.

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Is it wild? What kind of quail? How old? You can keep it alone, it would be happier with others but it will be fine alone. Feed it game bird feed and put it in a rabbit hutch like cage.

4. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I wanted to add that I've been using Carefresh, per recommendations on this forum, in my brooder for the past 2 days, and I love it as a litter. You could use that in the carrier. A lot of people use pine shavings, but I'm resistant because it seems really messy. The carefresh is a little dusty when you first put it in, but my chicks stamp it down and they like to lay on it. It keeps them clean and they have clean feet. It isn't dusty the rest of the time. I'm cleaning it today, so I don't know how much of a mess it will be yet.

I have my single roo in a rabbit hutch that I got from Petsmart on clearance. It has a 1/4" mesh wire bottom and I just put newspaper in the tray.

5. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I have A&M's and they are too violent to be together. They killed off one female and the male was on his way out before I got him to the hospital (the rubbermaid tub in the house) just in time. I've tried reintroduction and it hasn't worked. They have made it very clear that they do not like roommates. They do like to be talked to, coo noises and light conversation, they don't talk religion or politics. They like a shallow bath for the heat and a frozen jar to stand near. Mine produce eggs daily and haven't stopped with the heat even though I've noticed a few moments of heat stress before I got them more ice packs. I feed natural food, people grade grains, tuna, eggs. I've tried large pens, 3 sq ft per bird, diet change, etc. and it didn't make it possible to leave them together.

6. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    My quail are coturnix. The roo has a screw loose so rather than spreading his attention around to all the hens, he fixates on one and chases her to death literally. It was either lock down isolation or barbecue and one one roo doesn't make a meal!

My quail are indoor pets, so I have lots of experience with keeping them inside (in the living room) while struggling to keep the house clean. [​IMG]

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:I have a male Bob with this same exact affliction! He will pick one female for the day, and run her down till near death. All year round, even in the "off season". He has no idea how to court the opposite sex! So he lives in isolation. I don't have the guts to take his life unless he was suffering. Then of course his head would come right off! But for now, he lives alone. And boy has he gotten mean. So maybe you and I aught to get together and have ourselves a BBQ. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by