1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

can a standard sized Ameraucana rooster breed with a silkie bantam?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrViskers, Dec 17, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    i have 2 silkie hens they are bantams i want my Ameraucana rooster to breed with them but the size difference makes me worried, as in the Rooster cant mount the hens.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Yes the roo will be able to breed the Silkies. You need to keep an eye on things, to make sure that the roo is not ripping up the girls. It will not make any difference in the size of eggs that the Silkies lay.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. MrViskers

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    But say if the offspring do develop would there be birth defects? And would the eggs fail to hatch

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    They wont grow bigger then the eggs allow them. I had a bantam cochin with a marans X ameraucana rooster (for a short time) and the eggs hatched out fine! My half bantam EE's lay a pretty good sized egg too.

5. MrViskers

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    one more thing. will the sperm from the Large Ameraucana rooster be fine in the egg produced by the Silkie hen

6. I know this is an old thread but I had a very large Splash Roo get into my Barred Rock pen and low and these B.Rock Pulletts were still quite small. I threw the eggs into my incubator and just before the hatch date (3 days) the eggs began to crack (not pip) the chicks were huge! Of course they didn't livee because they were underdeveloped. Did you have any luck with breeding your silkies with your big roo?

7. gooseville

gooseville Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yes! My white silky bantam rooster and Americauna hen had 9 cute chicks 10 days ago and they are all doing great!!

8. beeryfun

beeryfun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2013
    Richwood
    Hi there -- I would absolutely LOVE to see photos of the "half breeds" ;-) I bet they are just adorable -- if you have any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by