can a standard sized Ameraucana rooster breed with a silkie bantam?

MrViskers

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Australia
i have 2 silkie hens they are bantams i want my Ameraucana rooster to breed with them but the size difference makes me worried, as in the Rooster cant mount the hens.

Yes the roo will be able to breed the Silkies. You need to keep an eye on things, to make sure that the roo is not ripping up the girls. It will not make any difference in the size of eggs that the Silkies lay.

Last edited:
They wont grow bigger then the eggs allow them. I had a bantam cochin with a marans X ameraucana rooster (for a short time) and the eggs hatched out fine! My half bantam EE's lay a pretty good sized egg too.

I know this is an old thread but I had a very large Splash Roo get into my Barred Rock pen and low and these B.Rock Pulletts were still quite small. I threw the eggs into my incubator and just before the hatch date (3 days) the eggs began to crack (not pip) the chicks were huge! Of course they didn't livee because they were underdeveloped. Did you have any luck with breeding your silkies with your big roo?

Hi there -- I would absolutely LOVE to see photos of the "half breeds" ;-) I bet they are just adorable -- if you have any.

i have 2 silkie hens they are bantams i want my Ameraucana rooster to breed with them but the size difference makes me worried, as in the Rooster cant mount the hens.
My Silkie Roo has mounted Mt Ameraucana... She's not good at laying so I put the eggs in an incubator and we shall see what comes out and about 2 weeks lol

My Silkie Roo has mounted My Miss Mt Ameraucana... She's not good at laying so I put the eggs in an incubator and we shall see what comes out in about 2 weeks lol
20210920_105840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom