Can a Swan & Goose interbreed ?

chickenzoo

Emu Hugger
14 Years
Mar 10, 2008
a bumpy dirt road in Florida
Not that I want too, but all my animals are over a friends, with a large pond , while we get ready to move. I just noticed a Sebbie goose in Love with one of my Black Swans. Right now she is the advancer
( little hussy ) and follows him everywhere, cuddling up to him, which he seems confused over but tolerant. I don't know why she picked him, as there are many male Sebbies on the property, as well as female swans..... I guess she likes men in Black.?????
lol.png

Anser anser domesticus (sebastopol goose)

Anatidae Cygnus atratus (black Swan)

Based JUST on the scientific nomenclature I say, no-

Look at the similarity in Guinea and Chicken (IE Miracle hybrid)

Gallus (Galliformes) gallus domesticus (chicken)

Galliformes Numididae Numida meleagris (Guineafoul)

I could do the same with Mules, Ligers/Tiglons, or Leopars - all have the same family and still are usually sterile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_(biology)

From a taxonomic perspective, hybrid refers to offspring resulting from the interbreeding between two animals or plants of different taxa.[2]

1. Hybrids between different subspecies within a species (such as between the Bengal tiger and Siberian tiger) are known as intra-specific hybrids. Hybrids between different species within the same genus (such as between lions and tigers) are sometimes known as interspecific hybrids or crosses. Hybrids between different genera (such as between sheep and goats) are known as intergeneric hybrids. Extremely rare interfamilial hybrids have been known to occur (such as the guineafowl hybrids).[3] No interordinal (between different orders) animal hybrids are known.
2. The second type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.​

Last edited:
no, like firetigeris was getting at, animals ahve to be in the same genetic family to make a successful cross. Yall know how long I've been messing with migratory waterfowl, and never once have I heard of a swan goose, cross.
If there is one, I'd love to see a pic of it, cause it should be impossible.

Jen, if your concerns are putting them together for the year, go for it, it would be a 1 in a billion, yes billion chance of anything coming from it.

Quote:
could be wrong, but think you may be thinking of the swan goose (anser cygnoides)
they are colored similar to an african goose or canada goose, but have a similare build of a swan. These however are a species of goose, not a hybred.

Then again, you may have seen something total differnt. But this is what most people end up using , saying it is possible, just a swan goose.

They are all together out on the pond, just this one female goose has fallen in love with my one young male swan and follows him everywhere.... hehe. they have plenty of other swan and geese out there... just thought it was strange
lol.png

I'd like to see them Jen
I 'm not convenced that 1925 pic is a cross, looks like a black mutation to me, I see no goose traits in it at all, of course a 1925 picture isnt very clear either. If it did happen trust me, it's the rare exception over the rule...

Back
Top Bottom