can a very young hens egg hatch out?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
well my broody is still pinching eggs from the other girls, she had about 30 under her this morning, luckily id marked the original 8 she started with so took the 'extras' out..

but one of the original 8 eggs was from a 22week old pullet who'd just started laying..thus the egg is very small, half the size of the others?. although the rooster has been busy with her too, what are the chances of that egg actually hatching?

Sometimes they can. It requires not just sitting on the eggs, but knowing how to take care of them by turning, etc. Usually pullets don't do such a great job...but if the eggs aren't extremely valuable you can let her give it a try.

You will need to separate her so she won't continue to gather eggs, give her a reasonable number of egg...maybe eight or so...and see how she does.

sorry i think you mis read my post..the hen thats broody is an experienced hen, but shes stolen a young pullets tiny eggs and is trying to hatch those out with her own. i was curious if such small eggs would be possible for a chick to grow in?

I have hatched pullet eggs but alot of times they are not fertile. How long has your girl been sitting? If at least 7 days - you can candle her eggs and look for development.

She might not be stealing eggs, the other girls could really like that nest and lay with her in it or when she is out running around grabbing a snack.

If your rooster has been breeding the pullet, her eggs should be perfectly fertile. The chick will be smaller because the egg is smaller, but that won't affect the size of the chicken once it's finished growing.

Quote:
Sorry...I hadn't had my coffee yet !!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom