Can a vet clean out the crop of a 10 week old bantam?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by susanah, Jun 12, 2011.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    He's awfully small...he's an OEGB, and I don't want to hurt him trying to do anything
    myself. Do you think he's too small for the vet to flush it? Or that he could be hurt
    during the process?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    wait, whats wrong with him??

does he have an impacked crop?

3. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    Maybe partially impacted...we did something stupid...we didn't know any better and pulled some grass for them
    to get them to go to the coop. Then the next morning we were feeding our full grown standards some leftover
    spaghetti and threw them some too. Crop got really swollen. We have been able to massage it and get it to
    go back down, but it does continue to swell up off and on. And my daughter says he smells like rotten milk. We have
    put vinegar in the water and given him so yogurt, but I don't want it to go on too long. And sometimes he looks like
    he is trying to cough up a hair ball.
    So pretty sure sour crop, but maybe still something caught in there. And we feel really guilty cause we caused it. [​IMG]
    And just want the poor little guy to feel better.

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    If they have grit, you wouldn't think eating grass and spaghetti would cause issues. I give those things to mine all the time. I wonder if offering grit now (if you weren't before) might help.

5. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Quote:Grit won't help the crop. Grit is used in the gizzard to grind up food. The crop is more of a "storage tank" for the food before it moves to the gizzard.

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    If you have a vet who is willing to try I would say to bring him to the vet. Someone on her months ago did crop surgery on a CHICK and everything went just fine. This person did have medical experience though.

7. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    free ranging chickens eat grass all the time.... I think the difference may have been loose grass is harder for them to break or snap off into digestable sized bits.....
    good luck with the bird.

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    How long ago did this happen?

9. susanah

Mar 23, 2009
    About 4 days ago. We thought the grass was OK since we see them eat it all the time.
    We didn't think about the fact that they bite off little pieces and he ate long strands. Then after
    his crop started swelling I read that we shouldn't give them such big strands. And that a lot of pasta
    wasn't good for the crop either. Lesson learned.
    I may give him another day or two of applesauce and yogurt before doing anything. I wonder if the
    vets office would answer any questions over the phone. Our 2+ year olds have never had any problems
    so I have never used a vet before.

10. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    How is it doing now? I was thinking it's crop may have just been full. Hope it's oK, please let us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by