Can a week old Buff Orpington Bantam have crop issues?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azhenhouse, Apr 27, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I have the cutest week old Buff Bantam who's crop is huge compared to her pal, a Wyandotte Bantam, that is the same age. I have them on chick starter, and water with ACV. They are in a brooder with pine shavings. They scratch, and peck through the pine shavings like mad. I used pine shaving with my last batch of chicks that are almost a year old now, and with my tween ducks when they were ducklings. But now I am being paranoid that maybe the chicks are eating the shavings. I don't know why I am being so paranoid, it's not like I haven't had chicks before. I just have never had any so small, and her crop is very noticeably large. She (like I know if it is a pullet or roo) is eating chick starter as I type, and she has been eating all day. It could be that she is just being a little pig today, I don't know. I am curious if anyone has had a young chick with crop problems before. I tried a search but only found info on chicks a few weeks older. What do you think?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If she is eating it is a good sign that she is not uncomfortable. Just keep your eye on her, maybe massage her crop a little.

3. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    scratch'n'peck :

If she is eating it is a good sign that she is not uncomfortable. Just keep your eye on her, maybe massage her crop a little.

Thanks. I checked out your BYC page. AWESOME!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by