Can a Worm Be in An Egg?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicksgalore, Oct 11, 2009.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I put an omelet in the pan tonight and just as I lifted it out onto the plate when it was done, a white "thing" fell off of it. It looked like what I think is a roundworm--about 2-3 inches long, round and pointy at both ends, slightly curled.

I've been reading some posts on worming and it sounds like a large majority of you worm twice a year. Am I correct in reading that you throw away the eggs for about 28 days both times? How can you afford to throw eggs away for 2 months out of the year? We have never wormed our birds but I have a pretty large flock now--around 100. They are fenced in with layer feed until about lunch time at which time they're turned out to free range. We're in the process of getting them out on pasture which may help some but still, anyone with cats who drag in all sorts of things are sure to have the nasty things around. The chickens get lots of scraps including all my pumpkin seeds this time of year also.

I'm just a bit/LOT discouraged because we've been selling eggs for a while now and I'm TRYing to get the chickens to at least break even but it just seems like it's not possible. And now I'm looking at yet another costly problem...

2. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    [​IMG] GREAT questions...

3. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I think I read some where that it can happen. But usually only if the bird is highly infected with worms.

I heard it is a bit on the rare side to find a worm in an egg.

Note: I am not an expert. This is some thing I read.

4. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I am ... speechless. That is so gross. We eat eggs all the time--now what?? I almost just feel like giving up.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I remember someone saying that they can also shed the worms in the eggs while on worming medication.

If i were you, i would do the two rounds of worming like Threehorses suggests (wazine and then 2 weeks later ivermectin) and then pitch the eggs for an additional 2 weeks after that.

And then i would try to put it out of my mind.

So sorry! I know that had to gross you out. Don't give up. It's just a bump in the road. You can overcome it easily. [​IMG]

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have only heard of that once in the last 55+ years of raising chickens. Ut will only happen if the hen is highly infest with the worms. Even then only if the worm makes it to the egg. One in a ten million eggs may have a worm. Worm your whole flock and over clean the run and coop area.

7. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:You poor dear, I bet you are frustrated. I heard you have to throw the eggs away for only two weeks, but I am no expert either, so others who've raised longer would know. I still wonder how long total you have to throw out eggs then. If, like you said, it's 2 months a year doesn't that make a real dent in any income? I would think that would be a real loss. Just curious. I want to worm mine as well but I am uncertain the exact amount of time to throw out eggs too.

8. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 chickens and have never had them on any medicated food nor have I ever wormed them. I read that most people worm their hens twice a year. do I need to do that? Or is that a thing that you need to do if you have a huge flock?

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I've been reading some posts on worming and it sounds like a large majority of you worm twice a year. Am I correct in reading that you throw away the eggs for about 28 days both times? How can you afford to throw eggs away for 2 months out of the year? We have never wormed our birds but I have a pretty large flock now--around 100. They are fenced in with layer feed until about lunch time at which time they're turned out to free range. We're in the process of getting them out on pasture which may help some but still, anyone with cats who drag in all sorts of things are sure to have the nasty things around. The chickens get lots of scraps including all my pumpkin seeds this time of year also.

These are my thoughts; please take them as just that. Maybe i can be a sounding board or something. I'm not an expert. I just read and postulate. [​IMG]

A LOT of BYCers never use worm medicine. And a lot of them use natural preventative methods such as food grade d.e. in the food or cayenne pepper in the food every six months.

It seems to me (i'm just postulating) that if you get them clean of worms initially, then you may have success using the natural preventative methods in the future. And with those, there's no reason to throw out the eggs (that i know of).

As far as the time that you would have to go without eating/selling your eggs. My understanding is (and you have to read the label on particular medicines) that 14 days is sufficient after you're finished worming.

Nathalie (Threehorses) recommends the two-stage method that i mentioned in serious infestations is because the first is not as strong as the second, and the ivermectin can cleanse so thoroughly that the worms can cause a blockage on their way out and /or some level of shock to the bird's system. So the first stage can help the whole process be more gentle on the chicken's body.

I hope you don't stop enjoying your flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by