Can Adult birds get wry neck or is it something worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cass, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Lav Ameraucana roo....seems good weight....over a year old (possibly 2, bought as an adult)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Neck is screwed around, seems to be looking up all the time when "roosting". When I put him up on the roost at night he falls off during the evening. (and crows, silly bird) He no longer goes up on the roost himself, sleeps on the floor.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    about 1 week.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, (not yet)

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I work in the day, so he may have been attacked by one of the other 2 roos (which are larger than he is) But there is no obvious sign of injury. (I didn't turn over all his feathers, but did look him over)

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Eats and drinks normally. Trys to give "his hens" his food before he eats....normal for him.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal for him

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None. Need to know what I am dealing with before I treat, IF I treat.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Cure or kill him myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No pic available due to my lack of technolgic ability

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Airtight, draft free, well ventalated wood frame house. (Heck, the coop is better built than my house) Sand for flooring, wood chips in nest boxes.

He is my FAVORITE ROO....please give it to me straight....Can adult birds get wry neck? If so, do I treat or do I assume it is from an injury and just adjust my world view to a roo who looks UP almost all the time?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Typically adults that age don't get wry neck. It sounds like he may have acquired an injury that messed up his neck. Unfortunately, I have no idea what you should do about it. The only neck dislocation I have ever dealt with was so severe that the bird had to be culled. If he doesn't seem like he is in any particular distress over it, and it isn't stopping him from enjoying his life, then I would let it go. Let him learn to adapt. Chickens are resilient. He will probably do just fine.

I wish I had better advice. Good luck with him.

3. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY

Thank you. He isn't in a lot of distress over it. I just hope one of my rafter roosters (not male, hens in the rafters roosting) doesn't poo in his eye.

I'm not going to cull him, cuz he is the ONLY Lav Ameruacana roo I have....unless he is in pain or not eating....then I am not going to let him suffer

4. Cass

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    His neck is improving. I am very impressed with his progress, he is once again HEAD ROO!!!

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Glad to hear it, Cass. I hope he continues to mend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by