1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can adult chickens be taught how to follow you

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by estheramelia, Jan 29, 2016.

1. estheramelia

estheramelia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    HI
    Okay. I finally found a reputable breeder that sells the specific breed. I'm going to be ordering a one year old chicken. I won't be keeping it for egg or meat production, just a feathery companion. When I have the time, I want to take it for nature walks ;) the place around our house is a very open space and a bunch of places where chickens could sneak off to, but at the same time sometimes crowded and a bunch of people who might think of it as an abandoned egg layer. No leashes, I have had enough of leashes, no more leashes. Any other method other than leashes!!!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Dunno really - but if the area gets busy sometimes, then i would have thought that peeps might be walking their dogs and that could be terminal! Since the hen is mature, it cannot imprint on you, so getting it to follow you around when theres so many interesting bugs etc to eat will not be too easy i wouldn't imagine.

CT

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    No, you can't take it for walks. They will follow you if you have treats but that's going to look a bit like hansel and Gretel leaving breadcrumbs lol. First dog you pass not on a leash and that will be the end of her.

You could probably train it to stay in a basket or something, used to be a fellow on here who took his rooster for rides on his bike handlebars. If you aren't after eggs perhaps a gentle rooster may be an option too, may be less flighty.

Also they really aren't solitary birds, 2-3 would be kinder for the birds and if there are no girls 2-3 roosters won't fight.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You are probably going to find a one year old hen is frightened by you, they are flock animals and require others of their kind to be happy, they aren't dogs. I think you need to rethink your plan.

5. estheramelia

Jan 28, 2016
    HI

Guy's, guys, >< I meant chickens, not a chicken

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I read you are getting a chicken, not some chickens, sorry, you still will have trouble getting an older chicken to bond with you, I used to have a small flock of bantams that would follow me around the yard to do my gardening, but I raised them from chicks and they thought I was their mom, that's your best bet.

7. estheramelia

Jan 28, 2016
    HI

It's completely my fault, I DID write in singular form.
    I just joined yesterday and I'm looking to get my first ever chicken. I have no idea about anything about poultry. Thanks for the info!

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Well welcome, there's plenty of information to be found here, and of course a love of all birds, so ask plenty of questions and share your plans and eventually your chickens, what breed are you looking to getting?

9. Chickenchick11

Chickenchick11 Carpe Diem Premium Member

You won't be able to get your bird to follow you like a dog, but with some practice you should be able to get them to come to you and follow you for a bit. I taught a three year old chicken to follow me last year. I use cracked corn, sunflower seeds, or some other treat to entice the chicken to come up to me, then I drop a few of the treat on the ground. After that I walk backwards about 8 feet, shake the treat cup to get said chicken's attention, and throw a few more treats on the ground. It takes awhile, but eventually the chicken should come up to you if you call and shake the treat cup. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  10. estheramelia

Jan 28, 2016
    HI

I was trying to get some shamo hens and a malay rooster :) but I heard malay roos don't fit well with hens so I might just buy the roo. I'm not trying to make a profit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by