Can adult chickens get spraddle leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SomeChickinTN, Feb 13, 2019.

1. SomeChickinTN

SomeChickinTN Songster

Nov 19, 2018
    E TN
    Or something similar? My teen son went out to the coop to give the chickens some old bread, and he said one of them was laying on her side with one leg out. When he went back, she was up again. He said it looked like there was a cut on a leg..... I went out there and observed for awhile but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The chicken was walking around acting like a chicken. Didn't seem to be favoring any leg or have trouble standing. Is it normal chicken behavior, or do I need to be watching for something? Can the mulch bedding splay their legs?

staceyj likes this.
  2. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    My chickens do yoga when sun bathing...
    did you find the cut?

SongBaby33 and SomeChickinTN like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could she have been sunbathing? I would pick her up to look at the cut to see if it needs some first aid. As long as she got up and was walking normally, I wouldn’t worry too much. But if she does it again, I would look her belly over for any swelling. Chickens who become lame or have Mareks can sometimes lay with their legs in odd directions.
    upload_2019-2-13_15-47-55.jpeg
    Sunbathing pic from HenCam

Attached Files:

imnukensc, staceyj and SomeChickinTN like this.
  4. SomeChickinTN

SomeChickinTN Songster

Nov 19, 2018
    E TN
    No, I didn't see anything. I even visually compared them to the other chickens legs. I told him I'd seen a BYC post about chickens who spread their wings and do crazy stuff... I'm wondering if he is a worry wart. He's an animal lover and we're all still learning about chickens as we go....

5. I agree; sounds like sunbathing. probably nothing to worry about, but keep an eye on it.

staceyj likes this.
  6. SomeChickinTN

SomeChickinTN Songster

Nov 19, 2018
    E TN
    I showed him that pic and he gave me that "I'm an idiot look"...lol, he said that's what she looked like. But this evening when I have a little more time I will go double check, just to make sure. Thanks :)

staceyj and Eggcessive like this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sunbathing chickens always freak out new chicken owners. So does dust bathing when they find a hole and wallow in it throwing dirt all around. LOL, we all went through it.

staceyj and SomeChickinTN like this.
  8. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    The first time I saw my Australorp sunbathing, I saw her out the dining room window. She’d chosen to do it in a half barrel that I’d pulled a dead plant of earlier in the day.

She was on her back, one wing spread out, feet UP IN THE AIR, head cocked to the side.

I think I yelled out loud :

“OH MY GOD SHE’S DEAD!”

I ran out there like a crazy person calling her name.

She opened her eyes and looked at me like I was nuts and just snuggled her back down into the soft potting soil deeper and PURRED!

Come to think of it, it was the first time I’d heard that purring noise coming from a chicken as well !

Scared me to death!

9. I could never describe that soft purring noise my MC roo made when he found a cozy hole to snuggle up in.

staceyj likes this.
  10. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    The sound of pure delight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: