Can adult chxns get bumblefoot?

peachychick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Heart of Dixie
I have a hen, about a year old-eating and drinking normally- whose foot pads are sore and scabbed over. Between her toes is swollen on the topside and one is warm to the touch. We have isolated her in the "infirmary" and used peroxide to clean up the feet as best we could. She is able to get around, allbeit gingerly, and uses the roost. She did not lay yesterday, but she is a wyandotte so she's not really a daily layer anyway.
How can I get some antibiotic inside the foot? Or does anyone know of a supplement/herb that works as a blood booster? that would help her fight this off? Is this kind of thing what Tylan is for?
It reminds me of the bumblefoot one of our chicks got in the brooder at one time.
Thanks for your help,
Kelli

Neeleys,
Thank you for the useful threads re. bumblefoot. Looks like many others are having this same problem too this year.
We did the epsom salt soak and the dime size scab on the bottom of her foot came off easily. There was all kinds of infection inside. I was able to get enough out to form a little pocket which we packed with neosporin and turmeric. Turmeric is effective in the treatment of staph and MRSA in humans, so hopefully it'll help this sweet little hen too. I wonder how I could get her to eat it--to have it coming at the infection from both sides?
We covered over everything with a wad of gauze and then duct taped her up in a crazy austronaut-like moon boot! She pecked at it for a few minutes then went on about her business. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I sure hope it DOESN"T rain today (as bad as we need it). I'll have to take her out a block or something flat to jump up on. I don't think she'll be able to hang on her roost she's been using in the infirmary.
Thanks for your help again,
Kelli

That's great, so glad to hear your girl is doing better!! Yeah, I think I would give her something easy to get up on to roost, a block, like you mentioned, or something with stairsteps. I'm sure jumping up and down from a roost while she's healing wouldn't be the best idea.

Your hen is lucky to have you, that stuff looks like it would be seriously painful if left untreated!! Great job!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom