Can adult ducks become tame?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hogan14, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Hogan14

Hogan14 New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Hi, I have 4 ducks: 2 female Muscovies, one male Muscovy, and one male mallard. My male mallard has been picking on the other male as well as one of the females. I'm thinking of purchasing two more females Muscovies to calm the tension. I can only find adult Muscovy hens right now. Since I raised my ducks as babies I am very close with them and they are my pets. My question is, if I buy two adult Muscovies can I tame them to be my pets too or will they stay somewhat timid or aggressive to me? Or should I wait until I can find ducklings. But even then I'd be worried that they would end up being males.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You can get them to where they will be comfortable around you but not as relaxed as the ones you have now. I have some of mine that were hatched here that are very timid around me and I spend time with them everyday..But I'd at least get more girls to add to your flock and slowly introduce them to the home flock, you may never be able to pet the new ones but they will still know who cares for them.

Welcome to BYC

3. Hogan14

Hogan14 New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Alberta, Canada

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  4. Hogan14

Hogan14 New Egg

Nov 22, 2014
    Alberta, Canada
    Thank you for the response. Since it's not duckling season looks like I will have to purchase some adult hens. I am still new to owning ducks and have had an easy time introducing all my ducks to eachother since they were young. How would you go about introducing the hens? How long would it take to have them living together? My ducks live in a heated enclosure now as I have lots of snow where I live. I have another little coop that the hens can live in for now, but I don't want to keep them in there for too long because it is not heated and it gets cold at night.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You can put them all in same enclosure if you have a way to put up some temp fencing. like the plastic poultry fencing they sell at Lowes That's the best way to introduce by letting them live side by side some times a week is enough sometimes it takes longer depends on the ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by