Can adult hens tell the sex of chicks??

brit01

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2015
Weird question I know, but hear me out! So I have two chicks (nearly 10 weeks old). One is a polish and one is an olive egger. I am 100% sure the OE is a pullet... I have no idea about the polish. The two chicks are currently living in a dog crate inside the main coop in preparation for integration into the adult flock. This past week, I've started letting them out to forage with the flock for about an hour at a time under my supervision. It has gone really well with one exception. I have an adult cream legbar hen (bottom of the pecking order) that has been pretty aggressive with my OE chick. It is only this one hen (all others are business as usual). The weirder part is that she only seems to have issue with the OE, not the polish. The polish gets an occasional half-hearted peck, but she repeatedly chased and cornered the OE. How would you explain this? My only hunch is that the Polish is possibly a cockerel and the cream legbar hen is only concerned with this new lady on the block and not so upset about a guy joining the party? Is that a possibility? Do you guys have any other explanation or have you seen hens be harsher with new pullets more so than cockerels? I will post some pictures of my polish chick if that helps! They are really difficult to sex!!!

Back
Top Bottom