Can air cells be too big?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Can air cells inside an egg be too big? If so, what could be the cause?

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Also, is it okay if they're slanted?

3. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I don't think it really matters what size the air sack is, and yes it can be slanted, which is alright. [​IMG]

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Mine is pretty big. And a few are a little slanted.

5. Louisianahomegrown

Louisianahomegrown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I've only hatched one clutch of eggs. However, I hatched 31 out of 36 eggs. Got a Hovabator still air incubator on sale for 20 bucks and thought what the heck I'll start raising chickens. Well, now I'm hooked. I read everything on here and did everything wrong but still got a good hatch. I had eggs I just knew where the air sacks were too large and I had some really slanted and you know what- they hatched. You didn't say what day but just give it until the last week and then you can see some action. I candled mine every night, took them out for 20 minutes at a time and like I said did everything wrong, but somehow they made it. Oh, and when I say I did everything wrong, I mean everything wrong! Good luck....[​IMG]
    Wife of a awesome man, 8BR hens, 1 BR Rooster, 1 EE, 1 Australorp, 4 dogs, 1 cat and a couple of kids.​

6. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith &amp; Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:
    Hahahahaha!! Thanks for the advice!!

7. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    I questioned the same with my summer bator hatch, and broodies right before that...I tossed the broody's eggs because no way with that big of an airspace, wrong I think, because the bator hatch had one the same and it pipped on day 18 as I candled it and was going to toss....it hatched and is a now 2 months, a Phoenix/something mix as it has booted legs and feet and was definitely a roo at 2 weeks....his bator mate a pullet...I never did candle on day 18, but she came out the next day....Just leave them and good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by