1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can an African and a Chinese mate????

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Lilfarmbrat, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Lilfarmbrat

Lilfarmbrat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    Oregon
    I purchased a pair of gosling from a feed store, out of a bin of assorted gosling so the workers there could not tell me what breed they are. Doing as much research as I can did not help me what so ever because both African and Chinese geese look so much alike to me. I know one is definitely a female because she is sitting on over 20 eggs. I can get pictures of the both of them tomorrow. Unknown if the other one I have is a male. Would it be wise of me to disturb mom so I can candle am egg?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Yes they can mate and produce fertile offspring. Access to water can increase their chances of mating successfully. Candling the eggs should not overly upset the goose (but the gander may strongly object). If they are yearling geese, the eggs may very well not be fertile.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lilfarmbrat

Lilfarmbrat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    Oregon
    Thank you! Yeah they are less then a year, we got them spring of this year. Both are very friendly in fact my gander (Stormy) is my buddy, he follows me everywhere and lets me pet and pick him up... attacks everyone else that is around, so proud of himself when he chases others off that he comes back to me cooing....LOL... The funnest thing about him is he is always photo bombing my other goose (Cloud) when ever i am taking pictures of her... LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a ham..Welcome to BYC @Lilfarmbrat

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by